GROW – Workforce Development Program
For a homeless individual, obtaining a job can be the key factor to a life reestablished in the social economy. However, in a market slow to rebuild, men and women of all ages continue to search for employment and careers – and the longer a man or woman is out of a job, the harder it becomes to be seen as a desirable addition to the workplace.
The transition from welfare to work is tough, but not impossible. While a long-term hiatus from the office is not desirable, for some it is unavoidable. Poor management and fear may lead to a downward spiral of depression and hopelessness. To have thoughts like, “I will never be hired for another job.”
The Weingart Center’s GROW program provides employment and training services to people receiving General Relief (GR) to help them obtain a permanent job and become self-sufficient. To accomplish these goals, the Weingart Center has partnered with the Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE), and The Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) to help poverty-stricken individuals regain the confidence and skills needed for today’s workforce. There are a total of 14 DPSS GROW sites, and the Weingart Center currently oversees two of those sites.
GROW features a short-term, intensive job preparedness and employment search curriculum that includes orientation, job skills assessment and tests, comprehensive job search activities, one-on-one job counseling, and referrals for training that will help secure employment.
- Housing Services: Shelter, safety, three hot meals a day, hygiene supplies, clothing, and Life Skills classes
- Case Management: Individualized Service Plan, benefits enrollment assistance, family reunification, and financial literacy
- Workforce Development: Job Club, Clothing Boutique for job interviews, mock interviews, and employee training
- Clinical Services: On-site
- Recreation: Graduation ceremony, holiday parties, Al-impics
Click here to donate to our GROW Program.
For more information regarding GROW, please call us at (213) 689-2235.